Your Apple ID might be seen as a key to access all of Apple’s cloud services such as iTunes, Apple Music, and iCloud. If you’d like to change the email address, which is associated with your Apple ID, it can be done from a web browser. Actually, it’s quite simple. However, there are times that changing your Apple ID doesn’t work right. You may be asked for the email address that you want to use whether it is already an Apple ID, or you might not be able to change your email address.
So, in this post today, we’ll walk through some steps to help you change the email address associated with your Apple ID.
How to change the email address associated with your Apple ID
If you’d like to change the email address for your Apple ID, then you can easily do it from any web browser.
- Visit appleid.apple.com from a web browser on your iPhone/ iPad, or computer.
- Now, enter your Apple ID & Password.
- Click on the arrow to log in.
- Next, verify your identity by answering your security questions or entering the code sent to your trusted device if you have two-factor authentication enabled.
- From the Account section, click on Edit near “Reachable At.”
- Choose Change Email Address.
- Enter your new email address and click on Continue.
- A verification code will then be sent to your new email address.
- Open that email and click on Verify email address link in it.
- Now, enter the verification code at appleid.apple.com and verify it
- Click on Done.
That’s it! You have successfully changed the email address associated with your Apple ID. However, a problem arises that you find your email address is already being used with an Apple ID. Here is how to fix it.
What you should do if your email address is already being used with an Apple ID
If there is a warning that the email address you are changing to is already being used, it’s since another Apple ID was previously attached to this account. If you forget creating an account with it, it’s already being used. Let’s see how to fix it.
You’ll need three email accounts for the fix.
- The email is currently associated with your Apple ID
- The email is associated with the Apple ID you want to change.
- A third email account that can be used as a throw-away email
- Get the password for Apple ID associated with the email you want to change to
- Visit iforgot.apple.com from any web browser.
- Enter the email address you want to change to your current Apple ID
- Enter the CAPTCHA characters and click in Continue
- Choose I need to reset my password and click on Continue.
- Click on Get an email.
- Launch the email you get from Apple.
- Click on Reset now and enter a new password
- Reenter the new password and choose Reset Password.
- Change the email associated with the inactive Apple ID
Now, you can disassociate the email address from the inactive Apple ID. Once you have access to it, you can then change the email address associated with it. This is where you can use an old email address or a new one that you have just created for the inactive Apple ID.
- Return and change your active Apple ID email
The email address you’d like to use for your active Apple ID is free to use, you can then make the changes. Follow the above steps to change the email address associated with your Apple ID.